Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Men: The Endangered Species.

Waaaaaaaasup, Readers?

This morning, GirlSpeak discussed a topic that rested heavier on my heart (if I can't speak for anyone else) than any of the previous.
After an audio presentation of highly acclaimed writer, Patricia Smith's "Undertaker", we picked at the subject of young men becoming the endangered species of America.

It has been 6 weeks & 3 days since my next-door-neighbor, Jeremy Baggett, lost his life to gang violence. I can still feel tears well up in my eyes when I pass his house on my way to work, so - like I said, the topic rested heavily.
On more levels than one, could I relate to being attracted to young men with a thug mentality & reckless lifestyle. With one of my exes cooped up in a cell in the Cook County Correctional Facility & another's speech reduced to a whisper as a result of a bullet to the throat, I couldn't help but feel like Krista Franklin was speaking to me.

Sometimes, there really is nothing sexier than a boy with a rough neck & dangerous eyes. However, there isn't anything more devastating than having them taken away. Lust and heartbreak tend to go hand-in-hand, don't they?

To make a long story short, the moral of the story (so to speak) was what part should we, as young women, play in protecting the lives of this endangered species.
My take?
After watching close friends fall to the streets like soldiers on a battlefield & watching others pull on the same uniform, I'm at the point now where I feel completely powerless.

What are we supposed to do? Jump in front of the bullets?
Or do we try to stop the soldier from fighting the war?
I had hoped that I'd have an answer by the time I neared the end of this post, but it hasn't come to me just yet.

Maybe that's why there are so many graves with patriotic flags planted beside them these days.
Maybe there's just an entire nation of women that haven't found the perfect solution to rescuing them.

-O.G. Kush

No comments:

Post a Comment